1-1-1754 Colonial act establishing Prince Edward County took effect.
1-1-1824 Union Theological Seminary formally opened at Hampden-Sydney.
1-2-1898 Fire in Farmville destroyed over thirty buildings. Originating at the corner of Third and North Streets in the Lumpkin factory, powder kegs exploded raining fire on the town.
1-2-1894 Governor Philip Watkins McKinney escorted back to Farmville by Farmville Guard.
1-3-1933 Farmville Mills burned.
1-4-1898 R.L. Dabney, famous Presbyterian theologian, architect, and former county luminary, died in Texas.
1-8-1754 Prince Edward County court convened for first time.
1-14-1813 Buffalo River, from its mouth at Farmville to Carter's Mill, declared a "public highway" by Virginia Public Assembly.
1-14-1904 Farmville Dispensary opened.
1-15-1798 Town of Farmville established by act of the Virginia General Assembly.
1-17-1898 B.S. Hooper, Republican congressman (1883-1885) from Farmville, died.
1-18-1952 Pedestrian lights installed at Third & Main.
1-18-1980 Rev. L. Francis Griffin, noted civil rights leader, died.
1-20-1977 The Red Lyon destroyed by fire.
1-21-1880 P.H. Jackson, tobacconist and host to Robert E. Lee, died.
1-22-1821 Dr. James T. Spencer was born.
1-22-1869 U.S. military replaced 52-year Clerk of Court Branch Worsham with "carpetbagger" appointee Joseph Jorgenson.
1-22-1901 The First National Bank opened its doors for business.
1-22-1905 T. J. Davis, Farmville grocer, died.
1-23-1940 24 inches of snow blanketed area.
1-23-2008 Clyde Jefferson Davis, respected Pontiac GMC truck dealer for 50 years, died.
1-27-1857 Hampden-Sydney student Ned Longhorne killed schoolmate Charles Edie in Cushing Hall in an "affair of honor."
1-27-1870 Virginia Senators and Representatives sat in Congress for the first time since 1861.
1-28-1858 Large fire damaged much of downtown Farmville.
1-28-1891 Dr. Horace Grymes Taliaferro, chief of Confederate General Hospital, died.
1-29-1922 24 inches of snow blanketed area.
1-30-1920 Dr. Peter Winston, physician, druggist, and mayor died.
1-31-1977 Gov. Godwin ordered strict energy conservation measures.
2-1-1775 Hanover Presbytery met at Slate Hill plantation to plan an academy in Prince Edward County, soon named Hampden-Sydney.
2-1-1806 Virginia General Assembly appointed commissioners to survey a canal from the Buffalo River to the Roanoke River.
2-2-1775 Hanover Presbytery accepted Peter Johnston's offer of 100 acres of land for the new college, Hampden-Sydney.
2-2-1924 Tobacco prizery owned by W.P. Gilliam burned.
2-3-1775 Hanover Presbytery appointed Samuel Stanhope Smith rector of the new college, Hampden-Sydney.
2-3-1803 Gen. Joseph Eggleston Johnston (USA and CSA) was born at Longwood plantation.
2-3-1942 Farmville's Company G mobilized for service in World War II.
2-4-1861 John T. Thornton elected county representative to state secession convention.
2-7-1797 Gov. Beverly Randolph died.
2-7-1870 Charles Edward Burrell, county historian, was born.
2-8-1825 Virginia General Assembly incorporated Junction Canal Company to build a canal from the Buffalo to the Roanoke River.
2-8-1845 Virginia General Assembly created Appomattox County from parts of Prince Edward and three other counties.
2-8-1944 Charles Edward Burrell, county historian, died.
2-9-1762 First court record of a passable bridge at Rutledge's Ford--later the site of Farmville.
2-9-1892 George Richardson appointed postmaster.
2-10-1918 H.E. Barrow, former mayor, died.
2-11-1824 Birth of W. H. Ruffner, first president of Farmville State Normal School.
2-11-1994 State Theater collapsed.
2-12-1871 Decision made to move county seat from Worsham to Farmville.
2-12-1872 County seat was moved from Worsham to Farmville.
2-13-1786 Patrick Henry refused membership in U.S. Constitutional Convention.
2-13-1901 Farmville Dispensary established by legislative act.
2-15-1907 Farmville had Virginia's last execution by hanging before electrocution adopted. Jesse Ruffin and Massey Hill were the condemned.
2-16-1781 Prince Edward militiamen left old court house to reinforce Gen. Greene at Dan River.
2-19-1945 Farmville livestock market conducted first sale.
2-23-1934 Prince Edward Mills commenced operation on site of earlier mill.
2-25-1952 Oliver Hill argued NAACP's Prince Edward case before U.S. District Court.
2-26-1900 Farmville Town Council voted against licensing the private sales of intoxicants; requiring all sales to be through an officially sanctioned Dispensary Board.
2-27-1833 Virginia General Assembly incorporated Farmville as a town.
2-27-1942 Parking meters installed on Main Street.
2-28-1820 W.W.H. Thackston, Farmville mayor, and dentist who founded the Virginia Dental Association, was born.
3-1-1841 Blanche Kelso Bruce, first black U.S. Senator (elected from Mississippi), was born in Farmville.
3-1-1899 Gov. P.W. McKinney died at his home in Farmville.
3-1-1917 Farmville Guard returned from Mexican Expedition.
3-2-1964 Prince Edward Hotel collapsed while under renovation.
3-3-1884 Farmville and Powhatan Railroad chartered (narrow-gauge line to James River).
3-4-1903 Tobacco factory known as "Dunlop's" burned, half million pounds of tobacco lost.
3-4-1913 Farmville Guard marched at Woodrow Wilson's Inaugural.
3-4-1949 East wing of State Teachers College burned, displacing 46 students.
3-5-1839 Farmville Female Seminary established by local supporters (official birth date of Longwood University).
3-5-1846 The South Side Rail Road chartered.
3-6-1935 Barbara Johns, organizer of 1951 student strike at Moton School, was born.
3-7-1884 Virginia General Assembly passed law establishing State Female Normal School to train teachers at the already-existing "female seminary."
3-7-1886 State Female Normal School incorporated.
3-7-1921 J.B. Wall purchased The Farmville Herald.
3-8-1938 Farmville Rotary Club organized.
3-10-1816 Judith Randolph, Farmville's "matriarch" died in Richmond, far from Bizarre plantation.
3-12-1896 Farmville Chapter of United Daughters of the Confederacy organized.
3-12-1956 "Southern Manifesto" introduced in U.S. Congress as regional attempt to offset effects of Brown v. Board of Education.
3-13-1926 Devastating fire on Main St. burned 8 buildings in seven hours.
3-15-1781 Peter Francisco and dozens of Prince Edward volunteers supported Continental Gen. Greene at Battle of Guilford Courthouse in North Carolina.
3-15-1924 Star Warehouse burned to the ground.
3-17-1917 Garden Club organized.
3-19-1872 Last session held in 118-year old county court at Worsham.
3-20-1775 Patrick Henry delivered "Liberty or Death" speech in Richmond.
3-20-1821 Hampden-Sydney trustees began plans for Cushing Hall.
3-21-1891 Gen. Joseph Eggleston Johnston died in Washington D.C.
3-22-1807 Former U.S. Vice President Aaron Burr spent night as prisoner at Prince Edward tavern on the way to his trial for treason.
3-23-1861 The tobacco factory of Peters & Blanton burned.
3-23-1902 "Billy" the Farmville Herald's office mockingbird found dead.
3-24-1975 Amtrak's first stop in town. "The Mountaineer" made the pull.
3-27-1837 Farmville and Danville Railroad Co. chartered.
3-28-1962 Martin Luther King, Jr., visited Farmville in support of reopening the public school system.
3-29-1897 McDaniel family opened Prince Edward County's first private school for black children.
3-29-1957 Hampden-Sydney College's McIlwaine Hall burned under suspicious circumstances.
3-31-1938 Farmville Rotary Club chartered.
4-2-1905 First Baptist Church freed itself of indebtedness.
4-3-1944 Gov. Darden attended banquet honoring the local company of Virginia State Guard.
4-6-1865 Confederate forces are defeated in several battles along Saylor's Creek.
4-6-1865 Gen. Robert E. Lee spent the night at Farmville's Randolph House hotel.
4-7-1865 High Bridge partially burned; skirmish at Worsham; Union Army occupied Hampden-Sydney College; battles at Cumberland Church and Plank Road, Farmville occupied.
4-7-1865 Gen. U.S. Grant, staying at Randolph House hotel, sent note to Gen. Robert E. Lee encouraging surrender.
4-8-1865 U.S. Army segments consolidated at Prospect depot en route to Appomattox Court House.
4-8-1896 Odd Fellows Lodge organized.
4-9-1865 Army of Northern Virginia surrendered to Gen. Grant at Appomattox Court House.
4-10-1865 Gen. Grant spent night near Prospect United Methodist Church.
4-10-1922 First motorized fire truck acquired.
4-12-1861 Regional Congressman Roger Atkinson Pryor helped to open fire on Fort Sumter.
4-12-1892 Farmville Populist Party organized.
4-12-1917 Farmville Guard dispatched to St. Paul, Virginia, to guard bridges and tunnels.
4-13-1803 Initial meeting held of board of Buffalo Circulating Library.
4-13-1920 Mrs. Martha E. Forrester held first meeting of her Council of Colored Women (later renamed the Martha E. Forrester Council).
4-14-1938 Asa Dickinson Watkins, sheriff, judge, commonwealth attorney, died.
4-14-1974 Coronary Intensive Care Unit opened at Southside Community Hospital.
4-15-1895 Thornton-Pickett Camp of United Confederate Veterans organized.
4-15-1933 Roy Clark was born nearby in Meherrin.
4-15-1987 Farmville-Prince Edward Community Library opened (formed by merger of Reading Room and Public Library).
4-16-1865 Memorial service for President Lincoln is held in Farmville Presbyterian Church.
4-17-1924 B. M. Cox, sheriff, postmaster, State Female Normal School business manager, died.
4-21-1861 County representative J.T. Thornton voted for Virginia secession (vote: 88-55).
4-21-1936 Farmville High School burned.
4-22-1866 Henry Watkins Allen died in exile in Mexico City.
4-22-1892 Dr. Vernon Johns, civil rights leader, was born near Darlington Heights.
4-23-1919 Carter Glass trophy train, displaying captured World War I weapons and material, arrived in Farmville.
4-23-1951 450 Moton High School students went on strike, protesting inadequate facilities.
4-24-2001 The Rotunda and both East and West wings destroyed by fire. Grainger Hall damaged beyond repair.
4-25-1946 Thomas Hardy Graham VFW Post organized.
4-25-1953 Order of the Eastern Star - Robert Morris Chapter, initiated.
4-26-1924 Taylor Manufacturing Company, located at the end of Buffalo Street, burned.
4-27-1905 Odd Fellows - Lodge No. 200, organized.
4-27-1951 Farmville Herald dismissed Moton High School student strike as a "lack of discipline."
4-29-1820 Henry Watkins Allen, Brigadier General, CSA, and governor of Louisiana was born near Farmville.
4-29-1895 Philanthropist Lewis Ginter offered Richmond site for relocating Union Seminary.
4-29-1903 Farmville N&W Passenger Station opened.
4-30-1904 Colonel Richard A. Booker, Captain of Farmville Guard, tobacconist and proprietor of Randolph House, died.
5-1-1832 Gov. Philip Watkins McKinney was born in Buckingham.
5-2-1894 First official proposal by trustees to move Presbyterian Seminary from its 70-year existence at Hampden-Sydney.
5-3-1905 Farmville Guard left for Richmond to attend funeral of Major General Fitzhugh Lee.
5-4-1895 Farmville Guard called to Pocahontas to guard working men from violence at the hands of strikers.
5-4-1901 The first "dry" Saturday in Farmville history; no liquor sales.
5-5-1942 World War II sugar rationing began.
5-5-1996 WFLO tower collapsed.
5-6-1776 William Watts and William Booker elected Prince Edward representatives to convention to establish constitution for Commonwealth, to replace colonial rule.
5-6-1965 J.J. Newberry Department Store at Third and Main Streets burned.
5-7-1846 Town and citizens decide to buy $100,000 stock to secure railroad service to Farmville; original South Side Railroad proposal would have linked county seats, taking railroad through Worsham.
5-7-1978 Farmville Flea Market opened at new Randolph Warehouse.
5-10-1905 Odd Fellows Lodge instituted.
5-10-1926 Dr. W.E. Anderson died.
5-11-1964 U.S. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy visited Farmville schools.
5-12-1894 Farmville Herald editorial campaign to keep Union Seminary at Hampden-Sydney began.
5-12-1920 Fire department draft horse "Charlie" dropped dead after pulling engine to fire on Buffalo Street.
5-14-1937 Canada Drug Company stock bought out by Patterson's Drug Company.
5-17-1954 U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Brown v. Board, unanimously striking down "separate-but-equal" public education.
5-20-1834 Birth of Hampden-Sydney College president Richard McIlwaine, who represented Prince Edward county in Virginia Constitutional Convention.
5-23-1901 The Masons met for the first time in their new Lodge room.
5-24-1777 Thomas Anderson Morton, who operated first store in Farmville on Second Street opposite Morton's tavern, was born.
5-24-1833 Congressman John Randolph of Roanoke, was born.
5-24-1902 Charlotte, Farmville and James River Valley Railroad Company organized.
5-26-1898 Farmville Guard left for service in Spanish-American War.
5-26-1918 Farmville Guard left for service in World War I.
5-27-1887 J.W. Dunnington, tobacconist, died.
5-28-1832 Charles H. Erambert, Farmville Guard leiutenant, photographer, born.
5-28-1963 Civil War era locomotive "The General" visited Farmville.
5-29-1736 Patrick Henry, sometime resident of, and delegate from, Prince Edward was born.
5-30-1905 First memorial service for Confederate dead held at the cemetery in Cumberland.
5-31-1897 Earthquake and aftershocks rattled window panes in Prince Edward County.
6-1-2001 Telephone Area Code was changed from (804) to (434).
6-2-1959 Board of Supervisors announced its intention to cease funding of public school system in Prince Edward until further notice.
6-4-1894 Hampden-Sydney College trustees voted unanimously to oppose "by any legal and moral means" Union Seminary's possible move elsewhere.
6-5-1788 Prince Edward delegate to Virginia Convention, Patrick Henry, argued against ratifying U.S. Constitution due to centralized power and no bill of rights.
6-5-1905 Crosses of Honor presented to many Farmville Confederates.
6-5-1836 Dr. Peter Winston, Surgeon Confederate Hospital, mayor, delegate, was born.
6-6-1749 License issued for Anderson's Ordinary in Worsham area as condition for establishing the new Prince Edward County court there.
6-6-1907 Charles Bugg, grocer and postmaster, died.
6-6-1923 Farmville Lions Club chartered.
6-7-1905 Gov. Montague addressed the graduating class of the State Normal School.
6-7-1905 Narrow-gauge Farmville and Powhatan Railroad sold and renamed Tidewater and Western, but nicknamed "Tired and Weary."
6-8-1791 George Washington crossed the Appomattox River at Rutledge's bridge near end of Bridge Street and spent night in Prince Edward Court House village.
6-9-1761 Petition sent to Cumberland Court to allow a bridge into Prince Edward.
6-9-1798 John Woodson surveyed the town's first lots.
6-9-1924 Work started on Hotel Weyanoke.
6-10-1926 Confederate Veteran State Convention held in Farmville.
6-10-1943 Cannery opened in the basement of Farmville High School.
6-12-1926 S.W. Paulett elected State Commander at UCV Convention.
6-12-1820 R.S. Paulett, Farmville tobacconist, was born.
6-12-1861 The Randolph Guard mustered into service.
6-12-1943 Farmville's Lt. Robert L. Gilbert shot down three Japanese planes during Solomon Islands campaign.
6-13-1854 Hampden-Sydney trustees reluctantly acquiesced to actions of Virginia General Assembly assuming governance of the college's Medical Department (now MCV).
6-15-1898 Spreading rails caused wreck on Farmville & Powhatan Railroad.
6-17-1903 Farmville Guard ordered to Richmond to quell labor riots.
6-17-1942 First darkness to dawn blackout.
6-19-1775 Prince Edward County committeemen passed resolutions condemning action of Royal Governor Dunmore in moving gunpowder from Williamsburg.
6-19-1916 Farmville Guard received orders to prepare for duty in Mexico.
6-19-1922 Farmville Creamery began operations.
6-21-1972 Hurricane Agnes caused Farmville's worst flood.
6-22-1914 Rail traffic diverted to the new steel High Bridge which replaced the wooden one structure.
6-22-1916 Farmville Guard ordered to military duty along U.S.-Mexican border.
6-23-1918 Robert B. Berkeley, doctor, lawyer, and newspaper editor, died.
6-24-1906 The last services were held in the Methodist Church before the old structure was torn down.
6-26-1796 Benjamin H. Latrobe arrived at Bizarre Plantation.
6-26-1909 Dr. James L. White, founder of White Drug Company, died.
6-26-1908 Socialist J.L. Fitts, addressed local farmers.
6-26-1918 Birth of noted Prince Edward entrepeneur and philanthropist J.B. Fuqua.
6-28-1783 Prince Edward County's eight-year-old Hampden-Sydney College officially chartered by Virginia General Assembly.
6-28-1929 E.H. Irby scored Farmville Golf Club's first hole-in-one.
6-29-1897 Daughters of the Confederacy gave basket picnic at Lithia Springs.
7-1-1900 Leslie Fogus joined Farmville police.
7-1-1934 Craddock-Terry began manufacturing shoes in Farmville.
7-1-2000 Longwood College assumed new designation as Longwood University.
7-2-1896 Solomon Marable hanged for the murder of Mrs. Pollard.
7-3-1902 The first automobile made its appearance in Farmville. It was driven by Mr. A.F. Herman of Richmond, on his way to Lynchburg.
7-4-1776 George Walton (born near Farmville, ca. 1741) signed Declaration of Independence as delegate from Georgia.
7-6-1901 Lightning struck the Presbyterian Church steeple causing fire and $300 in damage.
7-7-1901 Bottling house at Lithia Springs burned.
7-10-1927 Amandus Cox, livery stable operator, died.
7-10-1928 First traffic light installed at Third and Main Streets.
7-11-1861 "Hampden-Sydney Boys" military company surrendered after battle of Rich Mountain in present-day West Virginia.
7-12-1864 Henry R. McIlwaine, Virginia State Library from 1907-1934, was born at Hampden-Sydney.
7-13-1781 Notorious British calvaryman, Colonel Banastre Tarleton, raided area around Prince Edward Court House village.
7-17-1825 James T. Gray, Farmville tobacconist, was born.
7-17-1843 First class met at Farmville Female Seminary, which was founded in 1839.
7-18-1955 A three-judge Federal Court ruled that Prince Edward County had to desegregate its public schools.
7-22-1903 Southside Telephone Company chartered.
7-23-1864 Dr. J.R. Spencer was born.
7-23-1836 The Mineralogical Society of Virginia formed in Worsham.
7-26-1940 Farmville was the nation's hot spot. Thermometer topped 135 degrees and then exploded!
7-27-1896 The Pythians reorganized their lodge in Farmville.
8-1-1922 Walter Grey Dunnington, prominent Prince Edward tobacco merchant and owner of Poplar Hill mansion, died.
8-2-1897 Civil rights activist W.E.B. DuBois studied Prince Edward County's black population for U.S. Labor Commission report.
8-4-1851 Francis Carr and Christian Ehrman contracted by the Southside Railroad to build the High Bridge original wooden superstructure.
8-4-1899 Edward Wiltse, jeweler and silversmith, died.
8-4-1922 Farmville's first service station opened at Third and Randolph Streets by J.C. Brickert.
8-5-1942 Farmville's first daylight air raid test held.
8-8-1907 Prince Edward Hotel opened.
8-8-1952 Farmville Drive-in opened on Route 15 just south of Farmville.
8-10-1993 By-laws adopted for Rural Education Foundation, which created the Fuqua School to replace Prince Edward Academy.
8-14-1902 Work commenced to build Norfolk & Western train station.
8-14-1945 County-wide nighttime celebrations are held to commemorate the end of World War II.
8-17-1947 WFLO radio station went on the air.
8-18-1913 Henry Lindsey elected Fire Chief.
8-19-1962 Sayler's Creek Battlefield Park dedicated.
8-20-1969 Hurricane Camille brought flooding to Farmville.
8-24-1884 Farmville Lithia Springs incorporated.
8-26-1867 Prince Edward County resident and nationally-recognized educator Robert Rousa Moton was born in Amelia County.
8-27-1894 Gov. O'Ferrall visited Farmville.
8-27-1909 Farmville Silver Band held first open air concert.
8-30-1895 The Confederate Monument Association organized.
8-30-1905 Partial eclipse of the sun witnessed.
9-1-1775 Williamsburg newspaper advertised new college for men to open sometime that fall in Prince Edward County.
9-1-1902 30 cars of processed tobacco left for Norway.
9-1-1891 Farmville Silver Band organized.
9-2-1964 Prince Edward County's public school system reopened as an integrated system, after being closed for five years by county Board of Supervisors.
9-3-1831 Union Seminary founder John Holt Rice died.
9-3-1906 The first brick of the Methodist church was laid in northwest corner.
9-4-1919 Farmville turned out to welcome its returning World War I veterans.
9-5-1898 Union Theological Seminary moved to Richmond.
9-5-1935 Hurricane-spawned tornado damaged trees and buildings at Hampden-Sydney and Kingsville.
9-6-1893 Goliath Armistead, local citizen whose image graced packages of Dunnington tobacco, died.
9-6-1933 Virginia Dark-Fired Tobacco Warehousemen's Association organized at Planters Warehouse.
9-7-1897 Norfolk & Western Railroad fined by Mayor Burton for excessive speed in town.
9-9-1885 Opera House contracted to be built by Burton and Davis.
9-13-1944 Honor roll of World War II veterans unveiled on Courthouse lawn.
9-15-1907 Prof. August Schemmel, opened Farmville's Conservatory of Music.
9-16-2008 Lester E. Andrews, Sr., prominent businessman and civic leader, died.
9-17-1862 Prominent county lawyer J.T. Thornton was mortally wounded in battle at Sharpsburg, Maryland.
9-20-1809 Missouri governor and Confederate Major General Sterling Price was born near Hampden-Sydney.
9-22-1865 High Bridge reopened to regular traffic five months after being burned during the retreat.
9-22-1914 County voters approved (640-205) request for statewide Prohibition.
9-23-1890 After a bitterly contested election, Republican Party seated black educator J.M. Langston as this district's U.S. Congressman.
9-23-1923 Famed soldier and educator, Lt. Gen. Samuel V. Wilson, was born.
9-24-1776 Buffalo Presbyterian Church Session adopted "Petition for Religious Liberty" which was eventually sent to Virginia House of Delegates.
9-24-1890 Tobacconist, J.W. Dunnington, was born.
9-25-1869 Rev. Daniel Witt baptized over forty people in Miller's mill pond.
9-25-1922 Charles Edward Burrell published A History of Prince Edward County, Virginia from its Formation in 1753, to the Present.
9-28-1728 First known land grant to settler in Prince Edward area went to Richard Jarvis, Jr., for property along the Bush River.
9-28-1955 The old armory on Main Street was sold at auction for $45,000.
9-30-1933 County voters approved bond issue to build present courthouse.
10-1-1928 President Eggleston restored spelling "Sydney" in college's name to match 1783 Charter.
10-2-1892 Farmville's First Baptist Church dedicated.
10-3-1933 Prince Edward County citizens voted in favor (461-436) of retaining Prohibition.
10-4-1798 First sale of lots in newly surveyed town of Farmville; purchasers agreed to build within 7 years.
10-8-1890 John O. Collins, local inventor, received gold medal from Paris World's Fair for his railroad car coupler.
10-9-1898 Dr. John Atkinson Cunningham, second president of the State Female Normal School, died in Farmville.
10-10-1910 Buck Fuqua, black restaurateur, died.
10-11-1900 Confederate Monument unveiled, honoring county's eight military companies.
10-11-1918 Farmville native, Wiltshire C. Davis, 116th Infantry, received distinguished Service Cross and the Croix de Guerre for bravery in battle exhibited near Verdun.
10-11-1979 Pepsi Cola commercial filmed at the Farmville train station.
10-12-1909 Remains of Gov. Beverly Randolph re-intered at West View Cemetery.
10-15-1902 O.T. Wicker, postmaster, mayor, councilman, died.
10-15-1954 Hurricane Hazel came through Farmville.
10-15-1909 Andrew Reid Venable, Inspector General for J.E.B. Stuart and commission merchant, died.
10-16-1859 John Brown's Harper's Ferry raid caused panic and produced many enlistments for Prince Edward County militia.
10-20-1871 Cornerstone laid for Prince Edward Courthouse in Farmville.
10-20-1884 State Female Normal School opened with 110 students.
10-20-1925 Hotel Weyanoke opened.
10-21-1948 Farmville Sesquicentennial celebrated.
10-21-1998 Farmville was epicenter for an earthquake 1:57 a.m., 3.3 Richter scale.
10-23-1897 Kappa Delta Sorority organized at the State Female Normal School.
10-24-1845 S.W. Paulette, Farmville's "old Reb", born.
10-24-1946 Dabney S. Lancaster inaugurated president of State Teachers College.
10-27-1859 Hampden-Sydney alumnus and future Confederate Brig. Gen. Roger Atkinson Pryor is elected U.S. Congressman from this district.
10-27-1901 Fire destroyed Farmville's dog pound.
10-29-1907 Several citizens witnessed the falling of a dazzling meteor.
11-1-1926 The Longwood Garden Club was organized.
11-2-1908 Free mail delivery began in Farmville.
11-3-1857 66 slaves emancipated in the will of John Watson began the journey to resettlement in Liberia.
11-3-1941 The old electric plant at foot of Randolph Street burned.
11-7-1898 A.A. Cox's livery stable burned, 9 horses perished.
11-7-1908 Prince Edward County historian Herbert Clarence Bradshaw was born in Rice.
11-8-1917 R.A. Baldwin, founder of Baldwin's Department Store, died.
11-10-1900 The First National Bank organized.
11-11-1918 Farmville holds large nighttime celebration to commemorate armistice declaration that ended World War I.
11-12-1905 Lutheran Church dedicated.
11-13-1912 The Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians hosted revivals which produced numerous religious conversions.
11-15-1890 The Farmville Herald began publication.
11-17-1753 Bill passed Colonial Assembly to divide Amelia County, creating Prince Edward County.
11-17-1894 County voters rejected bond issue for 7-mile connection to Hampden-Sydney.
11-17-1923 South wing of State Normal School burned.
11-18-1926 Southside Community Hospital opened.
11-19-1867 Joseph L. Jarman, noted educator and longtime Longwood president, was born.
11-22-1875 Dr. John Peter Mettauer, pioneer surgeon and medical educator, died.
11-23-1893 Z.A. Blanton, Farmville Guard captain, councilman, and Planters Bank assistant cashier, died.
11-23-1902 Dr. Walter Reed, famed medical researcher and childhood resident of Prince Edward County, died.
11-25-1836 Farmville Baptist Church organized.
11-26-1917 Construction began on a new Post Office (present-day U.S. Federal Building).
11-29-1796 Petition presented to Virginia General Assembly for founding Jamestown, on the Appomattox River east of Farmville.
11-29-1942 World War II coffee rationing began.
12-1-1947 Southside Council on Health Care organized.
12-1-1892 J.R. Martin was elected Captain of Farmville Guard.
12-2-1836 N.E. Venable, Confederate marine and druggist was born.
12-3-1940 H.C. Crute, druggist and water works patron, died.
12-4-1890 Petition presented to Farmville Town Council to obtain electric service.
12-5-1944 George M. Robeson, founder of Farmville Manufacturing Company and international plow-handle mogul, died.
12-4-1969 Steeple replaced on the Presbyterian Church.
12-8-1899 W.W.H. Thackston, mayor, Virginia Dental Association founder, died.
12-9-1952 U.S. Supreme Court hearings began on appeals by Prince Edward and other jurisdictions regarding "separate-but-equal" public school systems.
12-11-1850 Farmville Lodge No. 41 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons chartered by Grand Lodge of Virginia.
12-12-1849 Walter Grey Dunnington, tobacconist, was born.
12-14-1900 Banquet honoring Joseph Mannoni held at Randolph House.
12-17-1873 County's first Agricultural Grange chapter met near Prospect.
12-19-1753 Virginia's Royal Governor Dinwiddie signed bill to divide Amelia County, creating Prince Edward County.
12-22-1795 Virginia General Assembly incorporated the "Upper Appomattox Company" designed to clear the Appomattox River for navigation from Petersburg to Farmville and beyond.
12-23-1905 Prof. John Chester Mattoon severely burned while impersonating Santa Claus at the State Normal School.
12-24-1844 Col. Charles McKinney Walker, commission merchant, was born.
12-25-1885 Union Seminary faculty reluctantly approved one-day Christmas holiday.
12-27-1860 Moses Tredway, innkeeper and town trustee, died.
12-29-1890 Farmville Electric Light, Heat and Power Company franchised.
12-30-1938 Farmville Manufacturing Company won bid to build new courthouse.